St. John began as a Christian congregation in 1852. We associated as a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod which had formed five years earlier in 1847.
The word "Synod" means "walking together" and emphasizes the relationship each congregation shared in Christian freedom with all the other members of the Synod. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LC-MS) is a conservative, Bible-based organization of roughly 6,000 churches across the United States with partners throughout the world.
The LC-MS exists for several purposes:
- Proclaiming the truth of God's Word and holding up Jesus as Savior.
- Mutual support of the congregations within the Synod.
- Cooperating in mission work throughout the U.S. and the world.
- Training future church workers for their service as pastors, teachers, Directors of Christian Education (DCE) and Directors of Christian Outreach (DCO).
Learn more about the LC-MS.