St. John Lutheran School was established on August 8, 1852, the same day as the church. The first classes were held on Monday, August 10, 1852. The Sunday sanctuary of the original log cabin church, located just south of the intersection of Raymond Street and Franklin Road, became the weekday classroom. The pastor of the church was also the school teacher.
As the enrollment grew and staff was added to meet the needs, a new school building was built in 1919 on the current Southeastern Avenue location. After further enrollment growth, the current building was dedicated in 1962.
Since 1962, St. John Lutheran School has committed to a number of additions, remodeling, and expansion, always planning and adjusting to meet the needs of a growing school enrollment.
As the facility grew, the educational program also grew to meet the ever-increasing challenges of providing quality Christian education. Staffing has increased steadily over the years as enrollment evetually brought about the need for one classroom per grade in the 1990's. Recent additions in the areas of technology, fine arts and athletics have help St. John continue its excellent ratings with the National Lutheran School Accreditation and the State of Indiana accreditation system.
A lot has changed since we first opened our doors in 1852. The faces have changed. The geographic area has changed. The content of the educational program has changed.
One thing has not changed - the mission of the school continues to be a focus on our Savior. God's gift of His Son, Jesus, has always been, and will continue to be, the "Heart of Education" at St. John Lutheran School.